Fans of the HBO series Game of Thrones have waited an entire year for this moment—this weekend, on Sunday, July 16, is the launch of the second-to-last season. A few of us here at CULTURE are huge fans of the show, and even though we are very, very ready to see what’s been happening over in Westeros, there is never enough preparation to get you through a season of Game of Thrones without a shock or two.
One trend that has kept true through the show’s multiple seasons are cleverly themed and parties, especially those of the first-episode variety. You could just order pizza and play Game of Thrones bingo while you watch the first episode—or you could celebrate with these legitimate cannabis-infused, show-themed edibles. Don your favorite House garb and enjoy these simple but delicious drink, meal and dessert recipes.
WHITE WALKER REFRESHER
We all know where this season is headed—get pumped with this liquid refresher.
1 ½ ounces cannabis-infused dry gin
3/4 ounce Triple sec liqueur
1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 ounce classic simple syrup
Combine all your ingredients in a cocktail shaker, and shake with ice. Strain out the ice, and re-shake the mixture without ice. Strain liquid into a chilled glass and serve!
WALDER FREY’s MINI POT PIES
We only need one name for this description: Walder Frey.
3-4 sheet puff pastry
3 tablespoons cannabis-infused olive oil
3 pounds chuck steak, cut into cubes
2 yellow or white onions, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups beef stock
1 cup red wine
1 ½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
A 12-muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Once hot, add in half of beef and sear the exterior and remove. Repeat this step for the second half of beef, and set aside.
- Turn heat to medium, add in more olive oil, and sauté onion and garlic, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add beef to the onion and garlic mixture. Cook until slightly clear, and toss in tomato paste, beef stock, red wine, salt and pepper.
- Add in the beef. Mix together and cook until liquid is enough to cover the beef cuts.
- Simmer, lower heat to low. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Refill with small amounts of water if too much liquid begins to evaporate.
- Five minutes before completion time, mix in cornstarch and water. Add salt to taste.
- Remove pot from stove and set aside to cool.
- Cut small pastry circles and place carefully into each muffin tin, with ridges that reach about half way up the tin wall.
- Fill the pie with the cooled beef mixture.
- Cut out the pastry lids and place gently onto the mixture, putting pressure on pie edges.
- Add a few holes to the top of the pie and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until appearing crispy and golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
SANSA’S LEMON CAKES
This badass queen bee of the north has been through a lot, but this simple dessert harkens back to her youth
4 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon water
½ cup sugar, and additional 2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup salted cannabis-infused butter, melted
¾ cup flour
1 ½ cup milk, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup lemon-flavored simple syrup
Small biscuit cutters, or cookie cutters
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons instant lemon pudding powder
¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whip eggs whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and water until well combined with the appearance of a light, fluffy yellow color and texture.
- Add in butter while continuing to mix, and follow with flour.
- Next, add in milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and lemon syrup and combine.
- Mix in egg whites into the mixture slowly.
- Grease an 8-inch or 10-inch pan. Pour batter into the pan and cook in oven for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit until completely cool (up to three hours).
- Use a biscuit or cookie cutter to cut out small, identical circles.
- For the cream, mix together the whipping cream, lemon pudding powder and powdered sugar.
- To assemble, spread lemon simple syrup onto the top of the cake. Spread or pipe the cream on top. Top with a candied lemon slice if desired, and dust with powdered sugar.